- Are you suffering from irregular menstrual cycles?
- Do you experience extreme bleeding during periods?
- Are you having trouble conceiving a baby?
If yes, you should get tested for PCOD. Dr. Shweta Shah is one of the best gynaecologist in Malad, having over a decade of experience. She focuses on providing the best PCOD treatment in Mumbai. Moreover, Dr. Shweta Shah has expertise in treating women with infertility, PCOD, and menopause problems. Besides, she is also adept in gynecological procedures such as sonography, hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, etc.
First, let’s know,
What exactly is PCOD?
- PCOD or Polycystic Ovarian Disease is a disorder in which a woman's hormonal abnormalities cause smaller follicular cysts in her ovaries. These follicular cysts are immature eggs that don't release out of the ovary.
- PCOD affects about 5% to 10% of women between the ages of 12 and 45. Delayed or missed menstrual cycles are typical symptoms of PCOD. If left untreated, it can lead to weight gain, acne, hair loss, excessive hair growth on the body, and problems in conception.
- In PCOD, the ovaries swell, and there is an excess production of androgen (male reproductive hormone) and oestrogen. PCOD is often detected during an ultrasound while testing the cause for menstrual irregularity.
- Women often believe PCOD will cause infertility. However, this is not the case. In some women, PCOD does not affect their fertility.
- With effective PCOD treatment, about 80% of women can conceive and achieve a stress-free pregnancy. However, conceiving may be difficult for the other 20% of PCOD sufferers who might be overweight.
- Dr. Shweta Shah, one of the best gynecologist in Mumbai, has helped hundreds of PCOD and unexplained infertility patients conceive.
Now, let’s know,
What are the Causes of PCOD?
The exact cause of PCOD is unknown. According to Dr. Shweta Shah, one of the best gynecologist doctor in Mumbai, higher levels of inflammation, insulin resistance, and genes can cause PCOD. It can also result from obesity, stress, junk food addiction, and hormonal abnormalities.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of PCOD?
The following are some of the most common PCOD symptoms:
- Some PCOD women have fewer than eight periods per year.
- Thickening of the uterine lining for a long time causes heavy bleeding during periods.
- Around 70% of PCOD women experience hirsutism, or excessive hair growth on the face and body, such as the chest, belly, and back. They frequently develop thicker, darker facial hair.
- Thinning or falling of hair.
- Severe acne
- Overweight or obese.
What is the impact of PCOD on a woman’s body?
According to Dr. Shweta Shah, one of the best gynecologist in Mumbai, androgen levels that are too high might impact a woman’s fertility and cause other health problems. Women with PCOD are at higher risk of:
- Sleep apnea
- Metabolic syndrome
- Endometrial cancer
How is PCOD detected?
Dr. Shweta Shah, one of the best gynecologist doctor in Mumbai, will prescribe few tests to diagnose the root cause of the symptoms. The tests may include a blood sugar test, thyroid hormone test, abdominal and pelvic ultrasound.
PCOD and Pregnancy
PCOD causes fertility issues because it disrupts the menstrual cycle, making it difficult to conceive. It has also been linked to an increased risk of problems during pregnancy.
Women with this disorder are twice as likely to give birth prematurely. They may also have a higher risk of hypertension, miscarriage, and gestational diabetes.
Now, let’s discuss about the,
Treatment of PCOD
- PCOD is treated with a combination of medicines as well as dietary and lifestyle modifications. Losing five to ten percent of body weight will help the patient feel better.
- Birth control pills and other drugs aid in menstrual cycle regulation and treat PCOD symptoms like acne, hair loss, and excessive body hair growth.
- If none of these treatments increase fertility, the doctor may suggest surgery such as ovarian drilling. It aids in restoring regular ovulation.
How much is the Cost of PCOD Treatment in Mumbai?
The type and duration of treatment mainly determine the cost of PCOD treatment. Because each patient is different, they have various symptoms, and the doctor addresses them. However, Dr. Shweta Shah, one of the best gynecologist doctor in Mumbai, will discuss the exact cost of PCOD treatment during consultation.